Extending Farm Household Allowance

20 September 2018

Hank Jongen

Hank Jongen is General Manager at the Department of Human Services.

The Government has extended Farm Household Allowance from three to four years.

From 1 August 2018, the timeframe that farmers and their partners can receive Farm Household Allowance has been extended from three to four years.

This gives farmers facing hardship more time to become financially self-sufficient, so they’re better placed to sustain their farming business.

If your client has previously received Farm Household Allowance for the full three years, they’ll be able to claim a fourth year from 1 August 2018.

People who are currently receiving Farm Household Allowance don’t need to do anything; they’ll automatically receive an additional year of assistance.

The Department of Human Services provides assistance for farmers in a number of ways, including delivering Farm Household Allowance, as well as having a team of dedicated Farm Household case officers who can provide specialist support and advice.

If you or your clients would like more information on Farm Household Allowance, visit the Department’s website or call the Farmer Assistance Hotline on 132 316.

Rural Financial Counselling Service

You may also like to share information about the Rural Financial Counselling Service with your rural clients, which is managed by the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.

We encourage any rural Australians who are suffering, or likely to suffer, financial hardship to contact the Rural Financial Counselling Service. More information is available on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website at agriculture.gov.au.


You may also be interested in